Top 20 Books of 2016: 5-1
5. Ms. Bixby’s Last Day by John David Anderson [Walden Pond Press | Grades 4-7]
Because it’s the sadhappiest book of 2016.
4. Ghost by Jason Reynolds [Simon & Schuster | Grades 5-9]
Because it’s heartbreaking and funny and authentic.
3. We Found a Hat by Jon Klassen [Candlewick Press | Grades K-3]
Because dreams are more perfect than reality.
2. Dory, Dory Black Sheep by Abby Hanlon [Dial Books | Grades 1-3]
Because it has the best last page of 2016.
1. Raymie Nightingale by Kate DiCamillo [Candlewick Press | Grades 3-6]
Because every sentence is spring-loaded.
About Travis Jonker
Travis Jonker is an elementary school librarian in Michigan. He writes reviews (and the occasional article or two) for School Library Journal and is a member of the 2014 Caldecott committee. You can email Travis at firstname.lastname@example.org, or follow him on Twitter: @100scopenotes.
SLJ Blog Network