The 2019 Caldecott Comment Card

CC CARD

Today’s the big day! Once the Caldecott winners have been announced, I want to know what you think. Go ahead and share in the comments. Which choice are you happiest with? Which book did the committee miss?

Comments

1. Joanne Center says:

Shocked that Dreamers didn’t pick up a Caldecott Honor in addition to the Belpre. That book was so gorgeously illustrated.

2. I am happiest about DRAWN TOGETHER and FRONT DESK winning the apala awards. Also, I am excited that HIDDEN FIGURES won a Coretta Scott King Honor, that book is beautiful!

I was a little disappointed in the Caldecott Honors. I was really hoping that THE DAY YOU BEGIN would get an honor. THE DAY YOU BEGIN was my students’ pick for our Mock Caldecott. They were all hoping it would win.

3. I am happiest about Big Mooncake for Little Star. I had actually just read it to a storytime like half an hour before! I went to see if anyone from the storytime was still playing in the back to let them know it won an honor, and they said “Oh yes, that was wonderful!”

Yeah, amazed at the lack of Dreamers, and my second favorite was The Stuff of Stars, so I’m glad they at least got recognition from their respective, what would you call it, ethnic experience awards? Our Mock Caldecott overwhelmingly voted for Ocean Meets Sky, but that surprised me at the time, so I’m not particularly surprised it didn’t pick anything up in the real ones. But The Rough Patch was one of our Mock Honors and that one surprised me at the time, so it’s kind of neat to see it get a real Honor!

4. Deborah A Robl says:

So happy to see THE ROUGH PATCH by Brian Lies and LIGHTHOUSE by Sophie Blackall graced with Caldecotts. Would have loved seeing some praise to LOVE by Matt de la Pena and Loren Long. Newbery winners were a complete surprise! Would have loved seeing SWEEP by Jonathan Auxier and THE TRUTH AS TOLD BY MASON BUTTLE by Leslie Connor receive more awards, but glad they medaled. Many new books brought to light to explore!

5. Stacy Dillon says:

Happy about Merci Suarez Changes Gears. Would have loved to see Be Prepared in among those Newbery honors.

6. Benji Martin says:

I was happiest about big Mooncake for Little Star. Felt like they missed Drawn Together and Dreamers. I am happy with Hello, Lighthouse, though. It always felt like a Caldecott to me.

7. Katie Bruechert says:

I loved The Night Diary! I’m glad it got an honor. I was a little surprised that both Front Desk and Drawn Together were not selected.

8. Happiest about Big Mooncake for Little Star
    They missed Dreamers, especially,
    also missed
    Julian is a Mermaid and Blue by Patricia Vacarro Seeger

9. Amanda F. says:

Happiest about Big Mooncake for Little Star. They missed Dreamers – thank goodness the Belpre committee did not.

10. Holly Polivka says:

So happy about Alma and How She Got Her Name! I haven’t felt like it has gotten enough attention, and so I was really happy to see it get an honor. I know we’re talking Caldecott here, but I echo what someone up above said about The Truth As Told By Mason Buttle. I thought it deserved a Newbery mention.

11. Melinee Fernandez says:

Hello Lighthouse had all the right stuff! The Day You Begin was a hit with our 2nd grader Mock Caldecott but the one missed was Adrian Simcox does not have a horse – illustrations for the beautiful story was an honor Caldecott for sure in our books!

12. Happiest about: Alma and how she got her name and Big Mooncake for Little Star!!

Very surprised not to see Dreamers or Drawn Together in Caldecott list, and surprised that with such strong beautiful books, they chose Hello, Lighthouse!

Disappointed with Book of Boy being honored in spite of its representation problems

13. Kate McCarron says:

Loved the Night Diary and glad to see it was a winner. Surprised Baby Monkey did not win a Caldecott-because the drawings are amazing!

14. Thanks a lot for sharing this with all folks you really understand
    what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally talk over with my
    web site =). We may have a link alternate contract among us

15. I see you don’t monetize your page, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn additional bucks every month.
    If you want to read about this method, simply search in gooogle:
    dracko’s tricks