#20-16 | #15-11 | #10-6 | #5-1
15. Radiant Child: The Story of Young Artist Jean -Michel Basquiat by Javaka Steptoe [Little, Brown | Grades 2-5]
Because it shows the artist as a child but doesn’t sugarcoat.
14. Pax by Sara Pennypacker, illustrated by Jon Klassen [Balzer + Bray | Grades 3-6]
Because the world is a complicated place, but the love for a pet can sometimes be all that matters.
13. Shy by Deborah Freedman [Viking | Grades K-2]
Because it takes what could have been a novelty and turns it into something beautiful.
12. Some Writer! The Story of E.B. White by Melissa Sweet [Houghton Mifflin Harcourt | Grades 3-6]
Because it’s a staggeringly beautiful tribute to one of the greats of literature.
11. Leave Me Alone! by Vera Brosgol [Roaring Brook Press | Grades K-3]
Because, I love you, but these g.d. sweaters aren’t going to knit themselves.