Finding Winnie…’s Butt

Winnie

Since it won the Caldecott Medal last week, I’ve been reading Finding Winnie to all of my classes (I work with students in grades K-4). I love the book, and it’s been getting a great reception from kids.

Especially the furry butt cheeks.

What? You don’t see them?

Now, don’t be ashamed if you don’t – I didn’t either. That’s because there aren’t any butt cheeks, of course. But when I’ve shown the cover, about 1 out of every hundred or so students have giggled. The first time or two, I had no idea why. Then the third kid just came out with it. They think Winnie’s knees are Winnie’s butt.

Through the butt see-ers’ eyes, Winnie is facing toward the boot, not away.

So, if you ever want to spice up your read aloud, tell kids some readers don’t see Winnie’s knees, but…

output_cBduM3

Are you a butt see-er, or a knee see-er???

Comments

1. Amazing.

2. Sam Bloom says:

Best post ever.

3. Kiera Parrott says:

Once you see it, you can’t unsee it.

4. Christine Sarmel says:

Gotta admit I didn’t notice Beekle’s behind either – until the first kid giggled. If the government ever needs top-notch behind-spotters, they should look to the second grade. As with so many things it seems to be a skill that deteriorates with age.

Great post!

5. Exceptional visual breakdown. I will be sharing this with my students immediately. You sir, are the people’s scholar.

6. Hilarious!!! And yes… Now I can’t unsee!!

• Travis Jonker says:

Ha! I still have the hardest time seeing the butt. I’m a knee see-er through and through.

• That’s funny. I saw the butt at first and it took me a long time to find the knees. I thought, there’s no way she’d paint a voluptuous butt like that on a children’s book… there *must* be something more to this illustration. That’s when I found the knees.

7. I’ve definitely always seen it as a butt. Now that I’m looking at the crook of the closer knee, I’m feeling pretty uncomfortable! How did I not see it before?

8. Hahahahahaha. I think I’ve always seen the butt!! (Not afraid of what this says about me.) :)

9. Travis Jonker says:

The number of butt see-ers is amazing to me.

10. This is literally the greatest blog post ever written on an SLJ sponsored blog.

I never saw the butt. Now it’s all I can see.

11. I didn’t see the butt at all until one of my students pointed it out to me. Now that I think about it, I’m amazed that only one student said anything about it (read it to every class).

12. Fellow butt see-ers unite! I still have a hard time seeing the knees, but this gif makes up for it. :)

13. Joseph Miller says:

My eyes have been opened.

Now, here’s the next question… how many Caldecott Medalists have butts (or faux butts) on their covers?

Get on that question, Travis!

14. Best read of the day! As someone who sees the butt, I couldn’t figure out why it was highlighted (because of course it’s a bum)…until I finally saw the knees. Very Duck!Rabbit! of Sophie Blackall :)

15. Sandy Swartzentruber says:

Seriously….I saw the butt right away. It was days before I saw legs instead.

16. Nan Stifel says:

Well, he’s just a little bare. Thanks for the best post ever on SLJ!

17. Oh no, you’ve ruined it for me. I thought they were butt cheeks all along. Knees? No!

18. Is this one of those visual tests like “Is this a picture of an old lady or a pretty girl?”

19. I always saw a butt; didn’t have the faintest idea those were knees. Oh dear.

20. Amy Martin says:

I had NO IDEA that wasn’t a butt!!!

21. Always a butt-seer here. Just didn’t want to say it out loud ?

22. There’s no one gutsier than a butt-seer.

23. Nina Lindsay says:

Everything I Ever Needed to Know I Learned from an 8 Year-Old

24. I didn’t realize they were supposed to be knees until this instant!

25. It is amazing what kid’s see that we don’t!

I would never have seen that.

26. Knees were what I saw, but I totally get why people see the other. Too funny.

27. Just thought I’d add my name to the “butt” side of the scale. I’d always thought it was bear buns too and will very lovingly continue to do so.

28. p.s. man, I love this.

29. Kristy Dempsey says:

Gasp! I have always seen the butt.

30. My eyes! My eyes!